2018-2019 University Catalog 
    Jun 22, 2024  
2018-2019 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration Policies

Transient Coursework

Transient status refers to a student who wishes to enroll at another college or university for limited, specific coursework, for the purpose of transferring those courses back to the institution where they are earning a degree.

Students from other institutions attending BW: The University may admit a student who has a minimum 2.0 GPA and is in good standing at another institution for specific coursework at Baldwin Wallace. This coursework may apply toward a degree at the student’s home institution, based upon regulations at that institution. A transient student application form is available from the Office of Admission (440/826-2222) and must be submitted for each semester of enrollment.

BW students attending other institutions: Baldwin Wallace University students may be approved to attend another regionally accredited institution during an academic term and transfer credits to their degree programs at the University. A Transient Student Permit Form must be submitted and  approved by the Registrar prior to enrolling at the other institution. Students must be in good academic and financial standing at the University. Course selections must be approved by both the academic department chairperson in whose department the course work will apply and the Registrar of the University. Transient permission is granted semester by semester and may not extend beyond two consecutive semesters.

Students are required to complete 45 semester hours, of their required hours of coursework, in residence at Baldwin Wallace. Transient coursework transferred to the University is subject to all policies and provisions governing transfer course work stated herein. A transient student may not enroll in more credits at another institution than normally could be completed at Baldwin Wallace University in a comparable time period.

Returning Students

Former Baldwin Wallace students seeking readmission after an absence should contact the Office of Registration and Records and complete the Returning Student Form. Students with senior status (having earned 91 credits or more toward their degree) after an absence of more than three years will be subject to the institutional and departmental curricular requirements in effect at the time of readmission. Students with junior, sophomore or freshman status (having earned 90 credits or less toward their degree) after an absence of more than one year will be subject to the institutional and departmental curricular requirements in effect at the time of readmission. One year is defined as the completion of two consecutive semesters and one summer session. Students who have attended other institutions during the withdrawal period from the University must complete a Transient Student Permit Form and request that an official hard copy of their transcript from their other institution(s) be sent to the BW Office of Registration & Records. Additional instructions will be included in the Returning Student Packet that will be mailed upon submitting the Returning Student form.

Veterans who leave Baldwin Wallace for active duty may reenter the University within one year of discharge from the armed services under the academic requirements in effect at the time of their departure.

Military Call to Active Duty Policy

Baldwin Wallace University will be as supportive and accommodating as possible for those students who must withdraw in a given semester because they have been called to active military duty. Exceptions to this policy are determined by the Provost’s Office.

Any student who is called to active military duty should present his/her active duty orders to the Provost’s Office. Depending on the activation date and the judgment of the individual faculty, the student has several options regarding the completion of coursework.

  1. A student may request a withdrawal. The withdrawal will be retroactive to the beginning of the term. A student may do a complete withdrawal resulting in all tuition charges removed. A student may do a partial withdrawal, receiving “W” grades in some courses. Full-time students will not receive a refund if the “W” grades result in part-time status.
  2. A student may request an “Incomplete” to be decided by the individual instructors. There will not be any tuition adjustment for courses assigned “I” grades and the student will have six weeks into the next term of enrollment to complete the “I” grade.
  3. A student may request final grades at the discretion of individual faculty members. Faculty and students would also have the option of turning the grade into satisfactory/unsatisfactory if departure occurs prior to final exams. Tuition is not adjusted.

In all of the above cases, all room charges will be prorated. Any remaining Jacket Express balance will be credited to the student’s account. The University would not charge a student carrying charges on back balances while he/she is in the military.


Current students may enroll in classes online at times assigned by the Registrar. Special registration days are scheduled for new undergraduate students entering BW for the first time. Class schedules and plan timelines must be prepared by students with the assistance of their academic advisors prior to registering for classes. Classes may be canceled at the discretion of the University. In such instances, the students affected will be notified, and assistance in planning alternative schedules will be made available. While Baldwin Wallace makes every effort to assist students in the planning of their programs of study, it is ultimately each student’s personal responsibility to plan and complete all University degree requirements.

Full-time and Part-time Enrollment Load

Enrollment Load Definitions
Undergraduate* Full-Time 12 or more
  Part-Time 0 - 11.5
Graduate Full-Time 6 or more
  Part-Time 0 - 5

*18.5 credits or more is considered overload for Undergraduate Students
Graduate course credits are always in whole numbers

Undergraduate Divisions Full-time

Changes in Schedule

Students may add and/or drop courses only during specified times announced by the Registrar. All seats are maintained on a space available basis.

The responsibility to complete schedule changes in a timely and proper manner rests with each student. Students should consult the academic calendars, on the Registration and Records website, for the exact dates for schedule changes each semester.

Students failing to add a course properly will not receive course credit regardless of course attendance or course work completed. Students failing to drop a course properly will receive a grade of “F#” for the course in question.

Withdrawal from Individual Courses

Students may withdraw from courses before the published last day to drop without academic penalty. A grade of “W” will be assigned for each course withdrawn. Consult the Registration and Records website for withdrawal deadlines and procedures. http://www.bw.edu/academics/registration-records/academic-calendar/

Students wishing to withdraw from classes after the deadline to drop, must submit a written petition and documentation of extenuating circumstances to the Office of Registration & Records for review. If the petition is approved, a grade of “WP” or “WX” will be assigned to each course withdrawn. “WP” will be assigned indicating passing coursework at the time of withdrawal. “WX” will be assigned indicating failing coursework at the time of withdrawal. Withdrawal from a course without approval constitutes a failure, and a grade of “F” will be assigned to the course. Petition forms are available in the Office of Registration & Records https://my.bw.edu/Campus-Life/Your-Campus/Registration/Pages/default.aspx

Leave of Absence

For many reasons, a student may need to leave Baldwin Wallace temporarily for a specified period of time. Permission for a leave of absence may be granted for a maximum of two consecutive semesters and one summer semester. A student who wishes to leave temporarily must communicate his/her plans to leave and return to his/her faculty advisor. The Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form must be completed on-line through WebExpress. The official date of withdrawal is the date that the completed form is submitted to the Office of Registration and Records.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who wish to completely withdraw from Baldwin Wallace and who do not plan to return must communicate their intention to leave the University to their faculty advisor. They must then complete the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form on-line through WebExpress. The official date of withdrawal is the date that the completed form is submitted to the Office of Registration and Records.

Student Records

All academic records are maintained in the Office of Registration and Records. Additional student personnel and advising records are maintained in the Office of Student Affairs, the Continuing Education Office, the Office of Academic Advising, by assigned faculty advisors and appropriate academic school offices. These records are made available, in a reasonable length of time, upon request for review by the student to whom they pertain. Baldwin Wallace University designates the following categories of student information as public or “Directory Information,” and this information may be disclosed by the institution for any purpose at its discretion.

Category I: Name, date of attendance, enrollment status (current, full-time, part-time).
Category II: Previous institution(s) attended, address, telephone number, email address, major field of study, degree(s) conferred (including dates), student photo.
Category III: Past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, physical characteristics of athletes.

Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Students who wish to withhold “Directory Information” must make an appointment to discuss this option with the University Registrar. Baldwin Wallace assumes that unless a student specifically requests withholding of categories of “Directory Information,” individual approval for disclosure is granted.

Additional information regarding FERPA and Education Records can be found on the Registration & Records website.

Summer Semester

Undergraduate and graduate courses are offered during the summer. Undergraduate courses are offered in six, eight and twelve-week summer sessions and are supplemented by immersion, hybrid and on-line courses that are offered throughout the summer. The undergraduate summer schedule is designed for both full and part-time students and all courses are open to day, evening, and weekend students. Students may enroll in courses taught on campus and/or at BW Corporate College East.

Courses and workshops for graduate students are also scheduled throughout the summer. Students should check for specifics as offered by their area of graduate specialization.