Majors are required to take 22 semester hours in Studio Art Foundation, 6 semester hours in a Studio Art Emphasis, 6 semester hours of Studio Art Electives at the 300 level, 15 semester hours of Art History and 2 semester hours in the Junior/Senior Seminars.
Majors are required to participate in a yearly critique with the studio faculty beginning in their Junior year, the basis for ART 363 - Junior Seminar . Senior candidates for graduation are required to exhibit their advanced artwork in the Senior Art Exhibition as part of ART - 463 Senior Seminar . The department also requests, but does not required, that enrolling freshmen studio majors present a portfolio of six to ten works when meeting with their faculty advisor.
Minimum Credits Required: 51
Studio Art Foundation–22 credits required
- ART 110 - Drawing I, 2 credit hours
- ART 111 - Drawing II, 2 credit hours
- ART 212 - Drawing III, 2 credit hours
- ART 115 - Two Dimensional Design, 2 credit hours
- ART 116 - Three Dimensional Design, 2 credit hours
- ART 117 - Color Theory, 2 credit hours
- ART 213 - Introduction to Painting, 2 credit hours
- ART 216 - Introduction to Ceramics, 2 credit hours
- ART 220 - Digital Photography, 2 credit hours
- ART 246 - Introduction to Sculpture, 2 credit hours
- ART 248 - Introduction to Printmaking, 2 credit hours
Studio Art Emphasis– 6 credits required
(Choose ONE of the following programs)
Studio Art Electives– 6 credits required
- Choose 3 additional courses in Studio Art at the Intermediate or Advanced level.
History of Art–15 credits required
Junior/ Senior Seminar:
Students majoring in Studio Art are required to enroll in the Junior Seminar course both semesters of their Junior year. Likewise, participation in the Senior Seminar is also required the final two semesters of the student’s time at BW. A waiver to this requirement may be granted for the purpose of studying abroad. Please consult with your advisor about the implications to your Senior Exhibition before planning to study abroad.