Oct 17, 2017
This major is designed for students interested in chemical engineering or one of the other chemistry-based engineering programs.
Minimum required semester credit hours 63 credits at BW
Plus additional credits at the engineering school in which the program is completed.
- CHM 111 - General Chemistry I, 4 credit hours
- CHM 111L - General Chemistry Laboratory, .5 credit hour
- CHM 112 - General Chemistry II, 4 credit hours
- CHM 112L - General Chemistry Laboratory, .5 credit hour
- PHY 131 - General Physics I, 4 credit hours
- PHY 151L - Introductory Physics Lab I, 1 credit hour
- PHY 145L - Applied College Physics I, 5 credit hours
Either PHY 131 along with PHY 151L or PHY 145L , but not both, may be taken for credit.
- PHY 132 - General Physics II, 4 credit hours
- PHY 152L - Introductory Physics Lab II, 1 credit hour
- PHY 146L - Applied College Physics II, 5 credit hours
Either PHY 132 along with PHY 152L or PHY 146L , but not both, may be taken for credit.
- MTH 141 - Calculus I, 4 credit hours
- MTH 142 - Calculus II, 4 credit hours
- MTH 243 - Calculus III, 4 credit hours
- MTH 212 - Differential Equations, 3 credit hours
- MTH 313 - Applied Analysis, 3 credit hours
- CSC 210 - Computer Science I: Programs and Applications, 3 credit hours
- CHM 221 - Quantitative Analysis, 3 credit hours
- CHM 221L - Quantitative Analysis Laboratory, 1 credit hour
- CHM 251 - Organic Chemistry I, 4 credit hours
- CHM 251L - Organic Chemistry I Laboratory, .5 credit hour
- CHM 252 - Organic Chemistry II, 4 credit hours
- CHM 252L - Organic Chemistry II Laboratory, 1 credit hour
- CHM 331 - Physical Chemistry, 3 credit hours
- CHM 331L - Physical Chemistry Laboratory, 1 credit hour
- CHM 332 - Physical Chemistry, 3 credit hours
- CHM 332L - Physical Chemistry Laboratory, 1 credit hour
Before transferring to the engineering school at which they will complete the work for their degree, pre-engineering students must complete the above program and:
- at least 92 credit hours of coursework at BW
- the BW core curriculum requirements.
Some of our affiliated schools have additional requirements. Pre-Engineering students should check with the schools in which they are interested, and with the BW pre-engineering advisor.
Binary Program in Engineering
The pre-engineering program prepares Baldwin Wallace students to earn an engineering degree through educational affiliations with the engineering schools of Case Western Reserve University and Columbia University. Upon satisfactory completion of the three-year pre-engineering program at BW and the last two years of the engineering program at the engineering school, a student receives the Bachelor of Arts degree from BW and the Bachelor of Science in their chosen field of engineering from the engineering school. Students may choose instead the option of completing any of the B.S. science majors at BW, so long as they meet the engineering school’s entry requirements. Completion of the program at other recognized engineering schools is possible if prior approval of the BW pre-engineering advisor is obtained.