Minimum credits required (5 categories): 42
(plus prerequisites as indicated)
1. Introductions to literary analysis and interpretation: 3 credits
2. Historical Surveys: 12 credits (4 of the following courses)
Choose one additional course from the following
5. Advanced Studies in English: 18 credits (6 of the following courses)
a. Advanced Writing Courses
b. Advanced Literature Courses
- ENG 316(I,D) - Studies in Literary History, 3 credit hours
- ENG 328(I,D,X) - Studies of Major Authors, 3 credit hours
- ENG 335I - Studies in World Literature, 3 credit hours
- ENG 336(I,D) - Studies in Specific Genres, Themes or Modes, 3 credit hours
- ENG 463 - Seminar, 1-4 credit hours
At least four of a student’s Advanced Study courses must be Advanced Literature courses (ENG 316, 328, 335I, 336, 463).
ENG 308 , ENG 316(I,D) , ENG 328(I,D,X) , ENG 335I , ENG 336(I,D) , ENG 463 are not individual courses; they are inclusive categories of courses. For example, there is no course called ENG 328(I,D,X) Major Authors. Rather, there is ENG 328I Chaucer, ENG 328I Shakespeare, etc. There is no requirement to take one of each number (for example one 316, one 328, etc.).
^ If ENG 305 , ENG 308 or ENG 309SX was used to fulfill the Writing requirement, it may not be used to fulfill the Advanced Studies requirement as well.
A student may major or minor in English but not both.
English AYA Licensure
These requirements are explained under the School of Education . Students who wish to teach English in Ohio schools should check with the School of Education for further explanation of these requirements.