While maintaining the traditional support that Baldwin Wallace provides all pre-medical students, the Primary Healthcare Advancement Program is an exclusive pre-med pathway linked with the Public Health Major to especially foster support and guidance to undergraduate students, focusing on the significance of primary care medicine. It is academically selective and provides an educational environment cultivating a deeper understanding of the medical field in general, as well as the promotion of health and the prevention of disease. It also sharpens the additional skills necessary for the new Medical College Admissions Test, and provides communications with practicing primary care physicians. The program consists of the curriculum of the Public Health Major and the Comprehensive Healthcare Science Curriculum. The goal is to specially guide and counsel students regarding the increasing importance of primary care medicine within our changing healthcare system, and provide a longitudinal curriculum linked with primary care medical school programs.
Students will apply to the program following their first year at Baldwin Wallace.
- A minimum ACT/SAT score and first year GPA are required- ask for details.
- Completion of BIO 121 , BIO 122 , CHM 111 , CHM 112 , and CHM 115 , having earned at least a B grade in each course.
- Presentation of professional conduct and an absence of unprofessional conduct.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor of one of the above biology or chemistry courses.
Prerequisite Courses: First Year Science Courses
Required Courses: Comprehensive Healthcare Science Curriculum
- BIO 203 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I, 4 credit hours
- BIO 204 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II, 4 credit hours
- BIO 211 - Genetics, 4 credit hours
- BIO 336 - Molecular Biology, 4 credit hours
- CHM 251 - Organic Chemistry I, 4 credit hours
- CHM 255 - Organic Chemistry I Laboratory, .5 credit hour
- CHM 252 - Organic Chemistry II, 4 credit hours
- CHM 256 - Organic Chemistry II Laboratory, 1 credit hour
- CHM 311 - Biochemistry, 3 credit hours
- CHM 315 - Biochemistry Laboratory, 1 credit hour
- PHY 131 - General Physics I, 4 credit hours and
- PHY 151 - Introductory Physics Lab I, 1 credit hour
- PHY 145 - Applied College Physics I, 5 credit hours
- PHY 132 - General Physics II, 4 credit hours and
- PHY 152 - Introductory Physics Lab II, 1 credit hour
- PHY 146 - Applied College Physics II, 5 credit hours
- PSY 100 - Principles of Psychological Science, 3 credit hours
- SOC 100D - Principles of Sociology, 4 credit hours
- SOC 345 - Medical Sociology, 3 credit hours
- MTH 141 - Calculus I, 4 credit hours
- ENG 305 - Workshop in Advanced Expository and Argumentative Writing, 3 credit hours
- BIO 405 - Medical Case Studies, 2 credit hours
Required Courses: Public Health Major
- PHT 170 - Introduction to Public Health, 3 credit hours
- PHT 173I - Global Health, 3 credit hours
- PHT 175 - Epidemiology: Measuring Health and Disease, 3 credit hours
- HPE 201 - Orientation to HPE, 1 credit hour
- HPE 270 - Principles of Health Promotion, 3 credit hours
- PHT 274 - Environmental Health, 3 credit hours
- PHT 275 - Infectious Disease & Epidemics, 3 credit hours
- PHT 370 - Health Policy & Public Health, 3 credit hours
- PHT 375X - Health and Social Justice, 3 credit hours
- PHT 470X - Public Health Internship, Credit hours to be arranged
- PHT 471 - Public Health Colloquium III, 1 credit hour 1
- PHT 475 - Professional Seminar, 3 credit hours
- MTH 108 - Biostatistics, 3 credit hours
Elective Courses Approved by Director, 6 credit hours2
1 Only one Public Health Colloquium is required for students in the Primary Healthcare Advancement Program. PHT 271 and PHT 371 are credited by the BIO 405 Medical Case Studies course.
2 Elective Credits are satisfied by the Comprehensive Healthcare Sciences Curriculum courses BIO 211 and SOC 345 .